The Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (www.bnitm.de) is the largest Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Germany and is the National Reference Centre for Tropical Pathogens, a WHO Collaborating Centre and member of the Leibniz Research Association.
The Department of Virology at the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine in Hamburg is looking for a highly motivated
Technical Assistant (m/f/d)
(MTA, BTA, Laboratory technician)
As part of programs for the discovery and rational design of novel antivirals, we seek a highly motivated candidate who wishes to support the research activities of an international team of scientists as well as perform laboratory management duties. Core tasks will include:
- Molecular biology techniques (cloning, RNA/DNA handling, PCR etc.)
- Protein biochemistry (expression, purification, characterization etc.)
- Routine documentation of experiments using electronic lab notebook (ELN)
- Laboratory management including the development and implementation of organizational systems for tracking the laboratory materials and caring for the laboratory equipment
- Completed training as a technical assistant (MTA, BTA, Laboratory technician)
- Fluent oral and written English
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently and flexible
- Laboratory experience is a plus, preferably with molecular biology and recombinant protein production
- Previous work in protein biochemistry is beneficial
- Proficiency in commonly used laboratory software is favorable (Office, Prism etc.)
- An interesting and challenging job in a modern research institution
- Integration into an open-minded and motivated team
- A central location at the Landungsbrücken, which is easily accessible by public transport
- 30 days holidays per year
- Flexible and family-friendly working hours
- Childcare allowance
- Subsidy for HVV-ProfiTicket
- Company pension scheme
- Opportunities for further education and training
- Special conditions in selected sports and fitness clubs in Hamburg
The position is initially limited to two years with the option of prolongation. Remuneration is in accordance with the German salary scheme for the public service (TV-AVH).
We support our employees in achieving a work-life balance and promote the professional equality of women and men. We strive to assist women in their scientific career, increase the number of women in research and reduce under-representation in all areas and positions in general. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference when equally qualified.
Please submit your application containing:
- cover letter
- high school and university certificates with grades
- contact details of 2 references if applicable
Alternatively, you can send your documents using the reference "TA_Prot_Antivirals“ by mail to: Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Human Resources Department, Bernhard-Nocht-Str. 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or the selection procedure, please contact Ms. Jeannette Meurer from the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For further questions, please contact Dr. Yaiza Fernández-García (email@example.com, +49 (0)40/42818-942) from the Department of Virology.